A “tracker” is a simple sheet of paper with a unique design that the application uses to place your 3D model in space at scale. When the tracker is placed in the camera view of the app, your model automatically attaches to the 2D image. This allows you to walk around your 3D model without it moving with you.
There are three types of trackers: Universal trackers, on-the-fly trackers, and custom trackers. Below we describe all three.
Universal trackers work with all 3D models. Any model will attach to the universal tracker automatically, regardless of how you launched the model (e.g, from your account on the Augment app, or from an AR-integrated mobile app/website). Universal trackers are useful for those who want to fix their model in place and move around it or hold it in their hand.
There are two kinds of universal trackers:
1. Universal Currency Tracker
– USD bills: $1, $5, $10, $20, $50, $100
– Euro notes: 5€, 10€, 20€, 50€
– Pesos: $20, $50, $100
2. Universal Augment Tracker
Watch the universal Augment tracker in action:
How to use a universal tracker:
- Launch a 3D model from either:
- the Augment app – tap the thumbnail image of the model you want to view in AR from your account within the Augment app or a model available in the app’s public gallery
- an AR-integrated mobile app or website (Learn how to embed a button on your website for a single model.
2. Place a universal tracker in the mobile device’s camera view:
- use a USD bill ($1 – 100) or euro note (5€ – 50)
- print the universal Augment tracker, A4 size, US letter size, or pocket size, USA pocket size
3. The 3D model will attach to the piece of paper and appear at scale.
But what if you don’t have any dollar bills/ eruo notes handy and can’t print the universal Augment tracker? That’s when you can use an on-the-fly tracker. You can turn any 2D image into a tracker. On-the-fly trackers are temporary and not saved to Augment’s server.
How to create an on-the-fly tracker:
- Select a model in Augment.
- In the toolbar, choose the option “Create a tracker”.
- Grab a piece of paper that is contrasted and complex enough, and not shiny.
- Scan it with the app until the indicator turns green.
- Now you can see the model being attached to this trackers, and turn the tracker in any position, the model will follow.
- When you leave the app, this tracker will not work anymore.
A custom tracker is a 2D image of your choosing which is linked to a 3D model. When scanned by the Augment app, custom trackers enables the visualization of the attached model. With custom trackers, anyone can use Augment to scan your image and view your 3d model on top of it. It’s a perfect feature to create interactive brochures, catalogs, flyers, displays, etc..
To learn more about what a custom tracker is, how to use and upload them, please watch:
How to create a custom tracker:
- Log into Augment Manager and click on “My Trackers,” then on “All Trackers.”
2. Drop your printed document or browse your computer to upload a jpg or png image (5MB max size). Here are some guidelines for what makes a good custom tracker.
3. Click on “Edit” and select the 3D model you want to link to your tracker. You can also chose to link the tracker to a URL or a folder of 3D models.
4. After a few minutes, go to the Augment app, and click on scan.
5. Scan the image you just uploaded. The model to which it is attached should pop up in Augment.
6. You can now print this 2D image for your flyers, displays or business cards.
Depending on which plan you subscribed, your tracker could be scanned up to 10K times without additional fees.