Reduce Polygon count:
1. Before you start reducing the polygon count, make sure that your model is triangulate. If it isn’t, go to Mesh > Triangulate.
2. Then you need to open the Poly count window to see how many triangles your scene / object contains. Go to Display > Heads up display > tick Poly Count.
3. The number on the left indicates the total of triangles in the scene . To be compatible with Augment, this number has to be no bigger than one million.
The number on the right indicates the total of triangles in the selected object.
4. There is a tool to reduce the polygons automatically. Go to Mesh > click on Reduce to open the Reduce Options window. You can adjust the polygon count reduction’s percentage to get more or less polygons. Then click on Apply.
(Be careful : if the percentage is too high, it can damage the mesh).
For example :
5. If you get the error message below after clicking on Reduce, it means that you need to clean the model first.
6. To do so, go to Mesh and click on Cleanup. A window will open, tick Cleanup matching polygons.
In the Fix by Tesselation tab you can tick different options that can be the cause of you nonmanifold geometry.
Once you are done, click on Apply.
7. Follow the steps to reduce the polygon count again.
In order to export your 3D model from Maya, check our dedicated article.