Option 1: For Solidworks 2019, use the Extended Reality plugin
You can find the instructions about the plugin here: http://help.solidworks.com/2019/english/SolidWorks/sldworks/t_export_using_extended_reality.htm
With the plugin, you can export a gltf file. Zip the output of the export (gltf and bin files together), and upload the zip on the Augment Manager.
Option 2: Export a Step file and convert it into OBJ
Download and install the free software Open Cascade: https://www.opencascade.com/content/cad-assistant
Export a STEP file from Solidworks, and open it with Open Cascade
Convert your 3D model into obj. Zip the obj and mtl file together.
Once exported, you can import it into Augment. For more help, please check our article How to import a model manually.
Option 3: Import your file in a rendering software
Option 4: Import your file in a rendering software
You can try to use the SolidWorks Obj exporter :
– Watch this video tutorial to install it and use, or read instructions below :
Decals And textures Issues
Still, here is some advises and issues with SolidWorks:
– Decals have better chance to be exported if all side are connected to edge of your model :
– Decals will loop if they are not connected to sides :
– Decals will loop if their is rotation :
– Decals have almost no chance to be exported if they are not connected to any side :
When using Solidworks, the exported models should be in OBJ or DAE format.
When using other Solidworks formats, a conversion must be done prior to an upload on Augment, to match Augment requirements.