Augment strongly recommends uploading 3D model with the following export formats:
Compressed .zip file including .dae (Collada 1.4+) + textures or a .zae file alone
Compressed .zip file including .obj (Wavefront) + .mtl file (materials) + textures
- For .obj, a linked .mtl (Materials Library) is needed to connect the textures to the model. An option should be checked at export to enable .mtl creation. Another option at export should enable the links of textures in the materials. Please note that the .mtl doesn’t embed the textures; it only includes the materials settings, and links that point to the textures in the related materials. The textures must be included in the folder
- It has been reported that .obj format may not export correctly the reflection settings when generated by some 3D software, please check your materials after export
- Dimensions must be carefully checked when uploading an obj in Augment, as the units AND the dimensions may change during export from those in the original software. You can edit the units of a model in Augment Manager.
- .stl files can also be used but as they do not have textures or materials information, your 3D model will appear completely black
Depending on the 3D modeling software, other export formats can be used though consistent quality cannot be guaranteed:
- Sketchup & 3D Warehouse : KMZ
- Photo Scene Editor : PLY (color)
- Catia : Catia plugin to export in Collada 1.4 (.dae)
- VTK : PLY
If the 3D software you use doesn't export in one of those formats or if you encounter issues with a format, we recommend to download the free 3D software pCon.planner to convert your model to OBJ or DAE. pCon.planner allows the following import formats : DWG, DXF, 3DS, GLTF, GLB, PDF, SKP, STL, FBX, IFC, SAT, SAB, FML.